Re: notes on http2 draft

From: Martin Thomson <martin.thomson@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 21 May 2013 14:49:06 -0700
To: James M Snell <jasnell@gmail.com>
Cc: Patrick McManus <pmcmanus@mozilla.com>, HTTP Working Group <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>
On 21 May 2013 09:00, James M Snell <jasnell@gmail.com> wrote:

> For instance, for all DATA frames, we can introduce a GZIP flag (0x2)
> that indicates that the data contained in that frame has been
> compressed. Doing so really eliminates the need to specify anything at
> the HTTP semantic layer and eliminates the need for the
> accept-/transfer-/content-encoding header mechanism completely.

HTTP/2.0 originally had exactly this feature and it was removed.  It
was removed from SPDY shortly after the two specifications diverged.

https://github.com/http2/http2-spec/issues/46

It turns out that a compression bit is a) not especially useful
without knowledge of what the payload is going to be, and b)
confusing.