Re: Design Issue: GZIP flag on DATA Frames

From: Bjoern Hoehrmann <derhoermi@gmx.net>
Date: Tue, 21 May 2013 23:32:48 +0200
To: James M Snell <jasnell@gmail.com>
Cc: "ietf-http-wg@w3.org" <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>
* James M Snell wrote:
>This does not preclude the use of alternative compression schemes. If
>someone chooses, it would be possible, for instance, to continue using
>accept-/content-/transfer-encoding at the http semantic layer and
>simply not set the GZIP flag on the DATA frame.

Having a "gzip flag" as, in effect, a shorthand for using those headers
would make it very clear how to deploy alternative compression schemes,
and would indeed address my concerns. I understood Poul-Henning Kamp to
be considering going one step further and offering no means to define
new compression schemes.