Re: Design Issue: GZIP flag on DATA Frames

On Tue, 21 May 2013 18:25:37 +0200, Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@phk.freebsd.dk>
wrote:

> In message
> <CABP7Rbfb92Vxrmxj6fKdt+jpO_Qknq8FRjsu5GZW=17uoi4OFg@mail.gmail.com>
> , James M Snell writes:
>> https://github.com/http2/http2-spec/issues/100
>>
>> Currently the spec includes a requirement that all user-agents MUST
>> support gzip.. specifically:
>
>> If we're going to include this requirement,  ...
>
> How about just nuking Accept-Encoding, and say that _all_ content is
> gzip'ed, but that it is allowed to use the '-0' uncompressed mode ?

The deflate format as defined in RFC 1951 requires 5 bytes added
(injected) per 65k data. Also the two formats actually used in HTTP
(deflate, RFC 1950, and gzip, RFC 1952) requires cheksums of the entire
data added, so it's not like uncompressed mode is free.

/Martin Nilsson