Re: #467: Expect: 100-continue and "final" status codes

On 05/16/2013 10:47 PM, Mark Nottingham wrote:
> Note that this mechanism does not change the request message parsing algorithm; in particular, whether or not a final response status code is sent, the client still needs to send a complete request message. As such, if a final status code is received, clients will often choose to close the connection, rather than send a complete request (e.g., if it is length-delimited).
> """

This is an important point that I completely missed from any reading of
2616 and the current httpbis.  I assumed that if the server responded
with a final status code before sending 100-continue, that the client
would not send the body.

If I read your proposed text properly, the only way for a client to
avoid sending the body of a failed conditional request while maintaining
a persistent connection is to send the request using e/c and te/chunked,
and just send a zero-length chunk after receiving the final response
code.  Correct?

Having the ability to not send a large body if its going to be rejected
seems like a useful feature to me, but maybe its not actually
implemented in the wild.

--
Kenneth Murchison
Principal Systems Software Engineer