Re: Design: Ignored Unknown Frame Types and Intermediaries

Yoav--

I think of it even more simply than you describe in your example.
We have standards-conformant versions of HTTP/2, which are well known.
Then we have variations on these versions, which will have different
identifying names, but at a minimum we'd have one *known* version,
HTTP/2.0-experimental. Any server/proxy/client which allows that version to
be negotiated is making a promise to pass along frames it doesn't recognize
without modification.

Later, perhaps some extensions become widely known and useful. At that
point someone helpfully assigns a version of HTTP/2-0-pre-1, which now is
expected to mean HTTP/2 plus whatever extensions. If we continue to do our
job, assuming there is wide acceptance of those extensions, we'll get those
extensions spec'd and get that version documented.

-=R