Re: Design: Ignored Unknown Frame Types and Intermediaries

On Sun, May 12, 2013 at 9:11 PM, Yoav Nir <ynir@checkpoint.com> wrote:
> That's fine for interoperability. And I believe that middleware such as
> caching proxies or reverse proxies will simply ignore unrecognized frames
> and pass them on.

Belief does not ensure interoperability.

> Firewalls will either remove the unknown frames or reset the entire
> connection, and they'll do so regardless of what the spec says. I think that
> we should have text that says that middleware MAY remove frames not
> specified in the base draft. The reason is that otherwise the only choice is
> to reset the entire connection, which makes extending the protocol almost
> impossible - you'll get into the unhappy place TLS is with "retry at TLS1.0
> without extensions, and if that doesn't work go to SSL3", except it's worse
> for HTTP because the unknown frame could happen at any point during the
> connection.

Some frames might need to be removed, some might be ok to leave it.
Some might not matter to the middleware at all. It's better to be
explicit and allow for both cases.

For instance, we can say that frame types in the range 0x00-7F are
hop-by-hop and never forwarded on, but frame types in the range
0x80-0xFF are end-to-end and MUST be forwarded on, even if they are
completely ignored by the middleware. That would not only ensure
interoperability but would make use of the new extension points
possible.

- James