Re: Associating URI-based identities with HTTP requests

Re: when to use a link header, the rule I follow is fairly basic : if the
value consists of a uri that is optionally typed and potentially requires
additional metadata,  and if you think the link relation will be generally
useful in other scenarios (e.g.  Atom links,  json documents, html tags),
then use a link relation. If,  on the other hand it is something that only
requires a uri with no additional metadata, and you don't care about
non-http use cases, use a new header.

Based on an initial review of your note, a new header is likely
appropriate.