Re: Comments on Explicit/Trusted Proxy

Briefly, this thread's going on too long...

Corporate MITM'ing may well not amount to wiretap ala
2804. Standardising MTIM'ing does however make 2804
relevant IMO because the standard MITM attack would
be used in that way. The original clipper proposals
had the LEAF field that the client was supposed to (have
to) send, so the fact that something has to happen on
the client doesn't by itself mean the client is aware
of what's going on.

And yes MITM does happen and one could debate where
blame for that ought lie if one wanted (I don't.) The
point is that standardising that makes the Internet
worse, for all approaches I've seen proposed. We're
not in the business of denying reality but nor are we
in the business of rubberstamping all misbehaviours.

S.