Re: p2: Accept-Language missing, empty or no match

From: Bjoern Hoehrmann <derhoermi@gmx.net>
Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2013 12:07:00 +0200
To: Mark Nottingham <mnot@mnot.net>
Cc: "ietf-http-wg@w3.org Group" <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>
* Mark Nottingham wrote:
>Anyone disagree with adding similar text to Accept-Language? If not, I'll mark for incorporation.

I certainly disagree with adding text suggesting it's as good an idea to
respond with 406 due to Accept-Language as it is to respond with 406 due
to Accept, Accept-Charset, or Accept-Encoding, the latter all being ca-
pabilities of the user agent, while Accept-Language refers to the user's
education. Back in the day I had to add `*` to my Accept-Language header
to avoid this failure case, which was indeed present on several sites. I
could probably live with noting 406 is okay "somehow", but the text must
be very different from the text for the other headers.