p6: Vary and effects on future requests

From: Mark Nottingham <mnot@mnot.net>
Date: Mon, 29 Apr 2013 15:13:37 +1000
To: "ietf-http-wg@w3.org Group" <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>
p6 4.3 says:

"""A Vary header field value of "*" always fails to match, and subsequent requests to that resource can only be properly interpreted by the origin server."""

Someone reading this could take away that *any* stored response with a Vary: * has an effect on ALL other stored responses that share that primary key (and a couple of the issues we discussed reflected this confusion, from memory).

As I recall, the goal for 4.3 Using Negotiated Responses was to assure that stored responses were independent and self-describing; i.e., that a cache didn't have to rationalise the value of the Vary header among multiple stored responses.

So, I'd suggest changing this to just:

"A Vary header field value of "*" always fails to match."

Make sense?

--
Mark Nottingham   http://www.mnot.net/