Re: Design Issue: PUSH_PROMISE and Stream Priority

From: James M Snell <jasnell@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2013 17:03:47 -0700
To: Martin Thomson <martin.thomson@gmail.com>
Cc: "ietf-http-wg@w3.org" <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>
A new frame is not required. We already have HEADERS+PRIORITY and
HEADERS. The PUSH_PROMISE definition states that the promise will be
followed up by a HEADERS frame, then data frames. If we allow it to be
HEADERS or HEADERS+PRIORITY then we meet the requirement.

That said, is there even a need for server pushed streams to specify a
priority? Do we want to allow servers to dictate priority to the
client? I can see a number of ways in which a naughty server could
abuse that privilege.

Another question: do pushed streams inherit the same priority as their
associated "parent" streams? That is, client initiates a stream #1 to
the server with priority 5, server responds on that stream with two
PUSH_PROMISES for server-initiated streams #2 and #4... do streams #2
and #4 inherit the same priority as stream #1. (Please say no, Please
say no)

- James