Re: p2: Expect: 100-continue and "final" status codes

On Tue, 23 Apr 2013 17:22:37 +1000, Mark Nottingham wrote:
> p2 5.1.1.1 explains the semantics of 100-continue: "If the origin
> server responds with a final status code, it must not have performed
> the request method and may either close the connection or continue to
> read and discard the rest of the request."
>
> In my (admittedly quick) testing, pretty much nobody does this, at
> least by default; i.e., if I send a GET to a server with Expect:
> 100-continue, it's going to give me a 200 or 30x, not a 417. Sure,
> they might send 417 for a request with a body, but as written pretty
> much no one is conformant.
This bring up a question:  For those methods where a body isn't
currently defined and/or typically isn't expected, is a server supposed
to distinguish between cases when the request includes a body vs the
request includes Expect:100-continue?  Are the correct responses 415 and
417 respectively?

And what about TRACE?  Is 400 the correct response in both cases?

--
Kenneth Murchison
Principal Systems Software Engineer