Re: Resumable Uploads

From: Felix Geisendörfer <felix@transloadit.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2013 15:13:05 +0000
To: Daniel Stenberg <daniel@haxx.se>
Cc: Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>, Albert Lunde <atlunde@panix.com>, Kevin Swiber <kswiber@gmail.com>, HTTP Working Group <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>, Yves Lafon <ylafon@w3.org>
Thanks for the additional insights.

And if PATCH is ruled out because how browser APIs, I guess only POST is
> left.

Actually, PATCH could work great if there was an appropiate header to
indicate the offset. Example of resuming an upload that was interrupted
after 20 bytes:

POST /file/my.jpg

<file data … interrupted after 20 bytes>

HEAD /file/my.jpg

HTTP/1.1 200 OK
Offset: 20

PATCH /file/my.jpg
Offset: 20

<file data>

I realize RFC 5789 defines the request body as a "patch document", but it
creates a lot of complexity for this use case.

Cheers,
--
Felix Geisendörfer (felixge.de)
Co-Founder, Transloadit (transloadit.com)