RE: 3.3.1 Frame Header: Purpose of 1-bit reserved field?

On April 13, 2013 11:13 AM, "Roberto Peon" < grmocg@gmail.com> wrote:

> This is for prioritization experimentation in the future. The bit allows for priority level vs resource ordering without bloating the payload of a reprint frame.
> It was originally for control vs data.

>> On Apr 12, 2013 11:50 PM, "Mark Nottingham" <mnot@mnot.net> wrote:
>> Looking at the minutes from Tokyo, this was originally for control vs. data (as in SPDY).

>>  I think there's been some discussion about discarding the control bit; OTOH, if people are going to define extension frames, it'd be nice for intermediaries to know whether they count against flow control without having to understand their semantics...

<snip>

Roberto, are you referring to the stream dependency/reprioritization proposal discussed in Tokyo (https://github.com/http2/http2-spec/issues/7) ? Also did automatic error correction morph "REPRI" into "reprint"?

My preference would be for a implementation draft to reflect "complete" features. As future experiments demonstrate their value and reach consensus, then the entire logical set of changes could be adopted together. We had a pretty good discussion about informal/minimalist principles in Tokyo. It might be worth a few minutes at the next interim meeting in June to discuss further and clarify the bar for inclusion.  Since we're iterating on a series of experimental implementations, it seems easy enough to add changes in the future?

Thanks,
...Brian