WGLC: p4, 304 Not Modified

From: Ken Murchison <murch@andrew.cmu.edu>
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2013 10:12:06 -0400
To: "ietf-http-wg@w3.org" <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>
Hi All,

In re-reading the latest section 4.1, I'm wondering why ETag was singled
out as being a MUST generate, while Last-Modified isn't.  If the server
is capable of generating both, shouldn't it return both, as it SHOULD
for 200 responses (per section 2.4)?  What if the client only supports
Last-Modified and not ETag (e.g. used If-Modified-Since in its request)?

That being said, if the representation hasn't been modified then
presumably none of the validators changed.  What's the point in
returning any of them?  Shouldn't it be all or nothing?  Just trying to
wrap my head around the logic behind singling out ETag over
Last-Modified for 304.

--
Kenneth Murchison
Principal Systems Software Engineer