Re: Lingering Close

From: Zhong Yu <zhong.j.yu@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2012 15:13:03 -0600
To: Willy Tarreau <w@1wt.eu>
Cc: HTTP Working Group <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>
On Wed, Nov 28, 2012 at 2:22 PM, Willy Tarreau <w@1wt.eu> wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 28, 2012 at 01:24:15PM -0600, Zhong Yu wrote:
>> Thanks Willy, I think I get what you mean by now. FIN should be
>> initiated by server to avoid the TIME_WAIT problem. Therefore the
>> half-close step is important.
>
> exactly.
>
>> The current text makes perfect sense to me now.
>
> With this in mind, do you think that something in the text should be
> updated for future readers ?

The text gives motivation for draining (to avoid RST), it probably
should give motivation for half-close as well. The text may become too
long and out of scope, but I agree with Jamie Lokier that it's better
to warn implementers about the issues.

Also, I would probably use a different word than "linger"; at first
read I though it means kernel's lingering.