Re: Lingering Close

From: Willy Tarreau <w@1wt.eu>
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2012 19:22:39 +0100
To: Roberto Peon <grmocg@gmail.com>
Cc: Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@phk.freebsd.dk>, Zhong Yu <zhong.j.yu@gmail.com>, HTTP Working Group <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>
On Wed, Nov 28, 2012 at 10:14:16AM -0800, Roberto Peon wrote:
> I understand the specification of lingering close, however, specifying that
> the HTTP implementation should make an effort to ensure that the data is
> received before closing (and that lingering close is one such mechanism) is
> potentially better.

I agree but there is no portable way of doing so at the moment unfortunately,
so basically what the spec requires implies suboptimal processing on all
standard-compliant HTTP stacks (which basically means draining data from the
client until it closes).

> Lingering close is nasty for a number of reasons.The best option here (at
> least for servers) would be to have some knowledge about when the last ack
> is ack'd so that it can close the connection from userspace, safe in the
> knowledge that everything has arrived at the client safely. That is
> obviously not an issue for this WG< however.

Exactly, I would love to have this ! We could even imagine an option so
that the FIN could be sent by the stack while the app layer is notified.

Willy