Re: Lingering Close

From: Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@phk.freebsd.dk>
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2012 17:59:14 +0000
To: Willy Tarreau <w@1wt.eu>
cc: Zhong Yu <zhong.j.yu@gmail.com>, HTTP Working Group <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>
--------
In message <20121128174449.GD7227@1wt.eu>, Willy Tarreau writes:
>On Wed, Nov 28, 2012 at 11:08:42AM -0600, Zhong Yu wrote:

>The main problem is that HTTP is not well suited for use with TCP (!).

Indeed, this is a major problem in so many ways it's not even funny.

However, considering the penetration of HTTP, it's not inconceivable
that we could get a couple of much needed extensions to the socket
API to stick, possibly as a "TCP considerations for HTTP/2.0"
informal RFC.

If there is interest in this, I can make FreeBSD one of the reference
implementations.

One extension I have been pondering for a long time, is a true
per-socket idle timeout (Ie: no data-carrying packets in either
direction and no outstanding data to transmit for T time)

Poul-Henning

PS: And just in case some of you missed it, Queue had a couple of very
interesting spotlights on the dark buffer bloat issue some time
ago:

Article:
	http://queue.acm.org/detail.cfm?id=2071893

Interview: