Re: Message length and caches

From: David Morris <dwm@xpasc.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2012 15:45:33 -0800 (PST)
To: "'HTTP Working Group'" <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>

On Mon, 26 Nov 2012, Adrien W. de Croy wrote:

> in the case I was talking about, the intermediary already chunked the data.
> So it really has no option when the server closes.  It can't close to the
> client without sending a 0 chunk, since that would turn a potentially complete
> resource into an aborted one.  So it must send the 0 chunk.
>
> Unless you're going to say any time the intermediary expects the server to
> close it should not chunk the data to the client.
>
> I think we're just stuck with this until 1.2 or 2.0 deprecates the mechanism
> completely.  Has it really been that big a problem?

In case where the origin server provides a response claimed to be 1.1 w/o
a content length or chunked encoding, that is an invalid HTTP/1.1
response, is it not? That error needs to be signaled to the client so I
think the proper handling is to close the chunked response stream W/O
sending the 0 chunk .. yes there is a penalty here of closing the
connection, but this is an error and I believe it MUST be signaled as
effectively as possible. If we really had effective trailers, that would
be a better handling alternative.