Re: on DNS records

On 15.11.2012 01:56, Mark Nottingham wrote:
> On 15/11/2012, at 11:54 AM, Patrick McManus <pmcmanus@mozilla.com> wrote:
>> - Are we advertising that port 80 is capable of HTTP/2, or an alternate port for HTTP/2, or (capable of) both?
>>
>> imo it has to be an arbitrary port.. if you send anything other than http/1 on port 80 across the general internet you'll get some breakage.
> Agreed... however, I don't see a reason to make it impossible to say "I support HTTP/2 on port 80 too", so the client can optimistically try to use it first (as long as it can handle breakage).
>
> Cheers,

When it can be determined from the first few bytes on the wire if it is
HTTP/1 or HTTP/2 then servers and network elements could handle both
protocols on the same port. The first bit may be enough for this (0 for
ASCII HTTP and 1 for HTTP/2 control message?). However in the beginning
there could be unnecessary breakages and a HTTP/2 default port may be a
way around it. For example traffic may routed around HTTP/1 only network
elements.

Roland Zink   http://home.zinks.de/