Re: draft-ietf-httpbis-p5-range-21, "3.2 416 Requested Range Not Satisfiable"

On Wed, 24 Oct 2012, Adrien W. de Croy wrote:

> I've always considered multipart/byteranges to be less than optimal design
> for the problem.
It might be useful for some video containers that contains significant
information at the beginning and the end (but it is bad design).

> A server should be able to send the byte ranges coalesced in a single message
> body, since it advertised the ranges coming back it's possible to unpick it,
> and doesn't then require the part separators etc.

A server can also decide to support ranges but not support multiple ranges
requests.

> that way you don't need to overload the Content-Type which then removes your
> ability to transfer the actual content type (although presumably this has
> been communicated earlier).

Strong +1 ot the pain of having th crack the multipart envelope to find
out the real CT.

> Does anyone actually use multiple ranges?

The main question is:
Should multipart/byteranges (and multiple ranges requests) be deprecated?

--
Baroula que barouleras, au tiƩu toujou t'entourneras.

         ~~Yves