Re: RFC: draft-brown-device-stock-ua-00.txt

> The combination of client-hints and browser-hits seems extremely powerful
> and removes a lot of the guesswork that we have all adapted to.  In your
> proposal you mention the possibility of having a "well defined list of
> variable."  I think this is particularly important.  Best practice for
> extending these variable could leverage existing practices for HTTP headers
> or perhaps javascript API calls.

Yep. I'm explicitly limiting variables to what's currently already
available in the browser - don't want to get into the business of trying to
define new ones.

> Compression of this header (ideally in the context of general HTTP/2.0
> header compression) is vital for adoption, especially in the mobile context
> where every byte matters.

+1. Should have a new spec up soon which will, hopefully, address part of
this problem. The basic idea being that many of the variables are binary
(ex, WebGL on/off), which means that we can pack them very efficiently. The
tricky part is narrowing down the list of "continuos" variables like
viewport sizes, etc.

ig