Re: #385: HTTP2 Upgrade / Negotiation

------ Original Message ------
From: "Willy Tarreau" <w@1wt.eu>
>Thus I would not be surprized to see a success rate close to 100% with the
>following sequence to sites accepting both ports when HTTP/2 is released :
> 1) HTTP Upgrade on port 80
> 2) fallback to TLS on port 443

I think 2 could introduce a significant delay.  What proportion of
websites support TLS on 443?

Or is this purely to get past intermediaries to a site you already know
supports 2.0?  Or how do you know already that the site is available on
443, and if someone clicked a http:// URL, is it valid to make a https
connection?  Sometimes it's a different site on the different port.

In fact for that reason alone, you can't change the port that the URI
specified from 80 to 443.  You can end up getting the wrong site.

I foresee a bunch of problems where 1 fails due to intercepting proxy
not understanding Upgrade, and 2 fails because the site is http only on
80 only.

Or did I misunderstand what you're getting at?

Regards

Adrien