Re: draft-snell-http-prefer

From: Roy T. Fielding <fielding@gbiv.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2012 22:46:37 -0700
Cc: Ken Murchison <murch@andrew.cmu.edu>, ietf-http-wg@w3.org
To: Mark Nottingham <mnot@mnot.net>
On Oct 13, 2012, at 11:40 AM, Mark Nottingham wrote:

> Actually, I don't think you need Preference-Applied *or* Vary to indicate this; both are barking up the wrong tree.
>
> Rather, you need something with the specific semantics "the representation of the resource is byte-equivalent to the PUT request you just made" for *that* case.
>
> This could be a new status code, or it could be a header on the response. It could even be a "duplicate" link relation (RFC6249), pointing to a URI for "the request you just made"; e.g.

There is nothing to guarantee that the PUT payload received by
the origin server is byte-equivalent to the payload sent by the
user agent, so it does little good for the origin to say that
it received what "you" sent and didn't change it.

A more interoperable protocol would be for the request message to
contain some sort of end-to-end hash or signature of the request
representation, and the server to respond with the same hash
applied to the new representation.

....Roy