Re: Re-review of draft-snell-http-prefer-15

From: Mark Nottingham <mnot@mnot.net>
Date: Sun, 14 Oct 2012 05:42:48 +1100
Cc: Apps Discuss <apps-discuss@ietf.org>, HTTP Working Group <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>
To: Barry Leiba <barryleiba@computer.org>
My .02:

* Technically, the requirement for including a Vary should include the option for using Vary: *; requiring Prefer in the Vary header is too constraining.

* Vary needs to be on *every* response from a resource that evidences negotiation, not those that just happen to be influenced by the Prefer header.

* The examples section needs to show complete request and response messages, not just examples of the header field in isolation. This spec is not just defining a header, it's defining a protocol.

* "return-async" now seems like a less functional expression of "wait". Also, saying you'd *prefer* something to return async doesn't make much sense; if the request semantics can be honoured immediately and reflected in the response representation, why not allow so?

I can imagine some protocols that want to tunnel over HTTP wanting to do so, but can't think of any sane use of HTTP that would. return-async can be dropped.

* I still don't see the use cases for Preference-Applied (see message just now on the thread that brought it back). I'm not going to fight it, but am -0.5 on it (as I think it introduces opportunities for people to abuse the mechanism).

Cheers,

--
Mark Nottingham   http://www.mnot.net/