Re: SPDY and the HTTP Binding

Hi Roberto,

On Thu, Oct 11, 2012 at 02:18:18PM -0700, Roberto Peon wrote:
> On the compression stuff-- I apologize for the delay in getting the
> compression spec out. If all people want is a description of the
> fundamentals, I can do that quickly. For now I've been concentrating on the
> 'working code' informing the specification, and so have been working to
> ensure that the final product isn't more complex than is really required.

For having lived the same experience a few months ago, I can confirm that
it is *very* hard to provide a spec or just an idea without working code,
because you need to see your compressor work in order to validate the
concept. Amos experienced the same too.

In my opinion, it would be a lot simpler that we all work on the same
code basis, each with his own fork and feedback with results and ideas.
I didn't have enough time to help Amos when he took over the job, but
I'm sure it could have gone further and faster with more help here from
other implementers.

> On that note, what is it that people want to see here w.r.t. the
> compression stuff?-- Something high-level quickly, or a functional spec
> proposal in 1-3 weeks?

If you think you can already express the basic ideas and what was tested
vs what still needs to be validated, it would be a first step. But as soon
as you have some code anyone can experiment with without having to rebuild
a full browser, I think it could progress quickly.

Cheers,
Willy