draft-snell-http-prefer

From: Ken Murchison <murch@andrew.cmu.edu>
Date: Wed, 03 Oct 2012 10:27:09 -0400
To: ietf-http-wg@w3.org
Hello,

I'm working on draft draft-murchison-webdav-prefer which describes how
the return-minimal and return-representation apply to WebDAV/CalDAV
methods.  My work is primarily CalDAV-centric but we are trying to make
it generic to WebDAV and its derivatives.

One of the issues that keeps coming up is a way for the client to
differentiate between two  cases:

- the server doesn't return a representation because it ignored or
doesn't support the return-representation preference

- the server understood the preference but didn't return a
representation because it didn't change from what was in the request

One possible solution is for the server to return a Vary: Prefer header
to indicate that the server understood the preference, thereby allowing
the client to infer what the lack of a representation in the response means.

The next question is, does any such mandate or recommendation, if
required, belong in my webdav-prefer draft or in the base Prefer spec?

Thoughts?

--
Kenneth Murchison
Principal Systems Software Engineer