Re: question/comment on draft-ietf-httpbis-p5-range-20.txt

On 2012-09-18 19:05, Fall, Kevin wrote:
> I think you do understand the use case.  However, while I believe I
> understand the original intent of Range, it seems to me it is a reasonable
> if not elegant way to do "server driven" partial content.  Indeed, would
> you agree that the method I suggested above (client suggests multiple
> ranges including (0-), (0-) would be "legal" to indicate to the server
> that it is permitted to repond with multiple ranges of sizes chosen by the
> server?
>
> Another angle on the issue:  if Range winds up not being accepted as the
> basis for the mechanism of "server driven" partial content, then
> undoubtedly somebody is going to suggest some other orthogonal thing for
> it (as I think there do exist legitimate use cases for live-style HTTP
> streaming).  Personally I'd rather see whatever mechanism it is to be
> harmonious with client-side partial content.  (my $0.02).
>
> {FWIW, I'm willing to take a stab at a couple of paragraphs to describe
> this 'server driven' case, if the authors of httpbis-p5-range are
> amenable.}

The authors aren't relevant here; the Working Group is.

That being said, our current charter (for HTTP/1.1) essentially forbids
to do anything that could break existing clients, and also doesn't
really allow us to invent anything new.

(The situation for HTTP/2.0 is slightly different)

Best regards, Julian