Re: Semantics of HTTPS

Hi Mark,

On Thu, Sep 13, 2012 at 03:06:24PM +1000, Mark Nottingham wrote:
> I haven't seen any more discussion of this.
>
> Being that both the TLS WG Chair and at least one security AD have both
> unambiguously said that it should be considered an e2e protocol (please
> correct if I'm wrong), we return to the original question --
>
> Should we state that the HTTPS URI scheme implies end-to-end security (i.e.,
> between the user-agent and the origin server)?

I have thought a bit about the arguments made in favor of this and my
opinion has evolved on the subject. I think that we should probably keep
the https scheme as "end-to-end" so that the user is sure about this,
but in this case we'd need another scheme for the https from proxy to
origin server that browsers would switch to for a given site when the
proxy would refuse access. Basically it would look like this :
  - user types https://forum.example.com/ in his browser
  - proxy says "NAK, switch to insecure mode if you want"
  - browser asks "Proxy can't let you go there without inspecting contents,
    do you agree to let it see the contents you're accessing ?"
  - if the user clicks YES, then the browser uses the hop-by-hop scheme for
    every attempt to access https://<this site> and makes it quite clear
    (eg: by changing the color of the URL bar).
  - if the user clicks NO, then no access is performed.

I think it can be a bit complex to implement in browsers but they're already
handling per-site certificate exceptions, so I don't think it would be
something very different.

And the benefit of the alternative scheme is that non-browser clients could
easily be configured to make use of it (eg for automatic software updates,
etc...).

Regards,
Willy