RE: frequent DNS queries RE: comments on draft-mbelshe-httpbis-spdy-00

You missed my point, which is that if the application is currently
pacing getaddrinfo() to 6 outstanding requests, that will cause
6 A queries on an IPv4-only host, and will cause 12 queries on an
dual-stack host.  If the underlying problem is the CPE, which
can only handle 6 outstanding queries, the pacing will need to
be adjusted to accommodate the doubling of DNS queries on a dual-
stack host.

> 	Or, do we hope to identify the problem and encourage vendors to
> fix
> 	it?
>

> Long term, yes. Short term, we can't upgrade the existing deployment of
> NAT routers, so we're stuck for now and clients will make the best
> trade offs possible to improve user experience.

NAT routers are upgraded all the time -- equipment fails, users
add IPv6, users add 802.11n, or simply a faster model to deal with
their FIOS speeds.

> 	In the past, ICE (RFC5245) ran into similar problems which seemed
> 	be caused by rapidly sending UDP packets from different source
> 	addresses, which forces a NAT to create a new mapping.  Some NATs
> 	apparently can't do that very quickly.
>
> 	With many (but not all) NATs configured to do local DNS proxying,
> 	the problem may not be too severe.  But I understand cable
> operators
> 	don't like DNS proxying in CPE, which we may have exchanged for
> 	dropping rapid-fire DNS queries instead.  That would not be good.
>
> 	We tested some of our Linksys gear a week ago, after a discussion
> 	at IETF, and couldn't repeat the problem.  So, I would sure like
> 	to understand it better and try to see where things break and
> 	what configuration is causing this problem.
>

> We have many Chromium bug reports for this. If you're interested in
> studying some of the devices, I can gather a list of busted ones and
> send them your way. We're working on getting a lab of these devices for
> our own testing purposes.

Yes, I would be interested in knowing the devices causing the problem.
If they are 10 year old NATs, it isn't terribly interesting.  If they
are modern NATs, we have a real problem that the industry needs to
fix.

> 	Then we can figure out if the best workaround is in the
> getaddrinfo()
> 	code, in the application, or elsewhere.  But I would rather solve
> 	the problem, especially for something as critical as DNS queries.
>

> Yes, by all means, we should solve it. I'm just pointing out relevant
> concerns with reliance on DNS in the short-term.

It may also point to a need to do DNS differently, such as with a
long-lived TCP connection to the DNS server with a clear standard
for sending multiple queries over that TCP connection.  Because,
as you point out, we may well be stuck with deficient NAT gear.

-d