Re: Moving forward with HTTP/2.0: proposed charter

From: Salvatore Loreto <salvatore.loreto@ericsson.com>
Date: Wed, 8 Aug 2012 13:51:27 +0300
To: ietf-http-wg@w3.org
On 8/5/12 3:23 AM, Mike Belshe wrote:

>     The resulting specification(s) are expected to be meet these goals
>     for common existing deployments of HTTP; in particular, Web
>     browsing (desktop and mobile), non-browsers ("HTTP APIs"), Web
>     serving (at a variety of scales), and intermediation (by proxies,
>     corporate firewalls, "reverse" proxies and Content Delivery Networks).
>
>     $as well as embedded systems$
>

> I think you're looking for 'reasonableness' - such that HTTP/2.0 works
> with most existing systems.  I am too.
>
> I don't think we need to callout 'embedded systems', as it is already
> covered in "expected to meet these goals for common existing
> deployments of HTTP".  Embedded systems are common today and will
> naturally be a big part of HTTP/2.0.  If we call them out, do we need
> to start listing all the other common uses of HTTP? :-)

this is something that perhaps the charter should define clearly
removing all the ambiguities:
what are the "common existing deployments" the wg will take in
consideration?
The current charter tries to clearly list what will be considered.

I don't have a strong opinion on this,
but I don't think we should consider "all the other common uses of HTTP"
for 2.0, they are to many that are common to different degrees

Salvatore

--
Salvatore Loreto, PhD
www.sloreto.com