Re: FYI... Binary Optimized Header Encoding for SPDY

On 07.08.2012 06:53, Martin Nilsson wrote:
> The HTTP proxy syntax is an ongoing source for security issues, due
> to too  relaxed pattern matching.
>
> GET http://random.com/?facebook.com HTTP/1.1
> GET http://facebook.com@random.com/ HTTP/1.1
> GET http://facebook.com.random.com/ HTTP/1.1

What "proxy syntax"? All I see there is a bunch of absolute-URI for
random.com.

Splitting this into pieces on-wire and then re-assembling them into the
same canonical URL before pattern matching will not result in admin
people suddenly knowing safer patterns. The ones having trouble now
already fail to use the tools provided correctly...

This would require re-writing most RFCs to handle new URL syntax, and
we would have to maintain backward-compatibility and accept these forms
anyway - which means no gain. Abolishing the second form would be nice
to avoid credentials leakage in HTTP when its used as a Basic-auth
substitute. But then again its used for a lot more than basic auth these
days. Think salting parameter, three-legged auth algorithm name(s),
domain realm, session ID, etc.

Amos