Re: FYI... Binary Optimized Header Encoding for SPDY

On 2012/08/04 2:33, Roberto Peon wrote:
> I'm biased against utf-8, because it is trivial at the application layer to
> write a function which encodes and/or decodes it.

It's maybe trivial to write such functions once, but it's a total waste
of time to write them over and over.

> I see that handling utf-8 adds complexity

What complexity?

> to the protocol but buys the
> protocol nothing.

It doesn't buy the protocol itself much. But it buys the users of the
protocol a lot.

> It adds minimal advantage for the entities using the
> protocol, and makes intermediaries lives more difficult since they'll have
> to do more verification.
>
> Saying that the protocol handles sending a length-delimited string or a
> string guaranteed not to include '\n' would be fine, however, as at that
> point whatever encoding is used in any particular header value is matter of
> the client-app and server, as it should be for things that the protocol
> doesn't need to know about.

No, it is not fine. First, for most headers, interoperability should be
between all clients and all servers. Second, it is absolutely no fun for
client apps developers to solve the same character encoding problem
again and again. It's just useless work, prone to errors. If you got
told today that the host header can be in ASCII or EBCDIC, it's just
between your client and your server, what would you say?

Regards,    Martin.