Re: Moving forward with HTTP/2.0: proposed charter

On Fri, Aug 3, 2012 at 1:06 PM, Mark Nottingham <mnot@mnot.net> wrote:

> [snip]
> * Retain the semantics of HTTP/1.1, leveraging existing documentation (see
>  above), including (but not limited to) HTTP methods, status codes, URIs,
> and
>  where appropriate, header fields.
> * Clearly define how HTTP/2.0 interacts with HTTP/1.x, especially in
>  intermediaries (both 2->1 and 1->2).
> * Clearly identify any new extensibility points and policy for their
>  appropriate use.
>
> The resulting specification(s) are expected to be meet these goals for
> common
> existing deployments of HTTP; in particular, Web browsing (desktop and
> mobile), non-browsers ("HTTP APIs"), Web serving (at a variety of scales),
> and
> intermediation (by proxies, corporate firewalls, "reverse" proxies and
> Content
> Delivery Networks). Likewise, current and future semantic extensions to
> HTTP/1.x (e.g., headers, methods, status codes, cache directives) should be
> supported in the new protocol.

I want to just clarify that the proposed language does leave the room open
for potentially non-backwards compatible changes to be made within HTTP
2.0. Specifically, the way I read this, it should be possible for us to
tunnel a 1.1 message through a 2.0 request, as well as reasonably translate
a 2.0 message into a 1.1, but the charter also allows for the introduction
of mechanisms within 2.0 that do not necessarily translate directly into
1.1 so long as those are clearly spelled out within the specification (In
particular I'm thinking of things like the binary optimized header
encoding, UTF-8 support, etc). I see nothing in the draft spec language
that rules non-backwards compatible changes as being out of scope. If
that's correct, then I'm +1 on the revised charter.

- James