From: Martin Nilsson [mailto:nilsson@opera.com]
Sent: Sunday, July 29, 2012 3:17 PM
To: ietf-http-wg@w3.org
Subject: Re: HTTP 2.0 and a Faster, more Mobile-friendly web

On Sun, 29 Jul 2012 22:14:02 +0200, Henrik Frystyk Nielsen <henrikn@microsoft.com> wrote:

> To compare the performance of SPDY with HTTP/1.1 we have run tests
> comparing download times of several public web sites using a controlled
> tested study. The test uses publically available software run with
> mostly default configurations while applying all the currently available
> optimizations to HTTP/1.1. You can find a preliminary report on the test
> results here: http://research.microsoft.com/apps/pubs/?id=170059.

This is an interesting demonstration of a use case HTTP was made for, and
where HTTP works well. The issues we are facing are non-working pipelining
in HTTP/1, increase in HTTP header size from things like cookies and
ua-prof-diff, and streaming of video. It doesn't appear that you are
testing these issues, so it makes sense that the performance difference
isn't that great. It would be preferable if HTTP/2 would always win over
HTTP/1 though.

Since your minify-tests performs non-reversible content modifications, I
would be very careful to use those results.

/Martin Nilsson