Re: HTTP 2.0 and a Faster, more Mobile-friendly web

Interesting data! Questions about test methodology:

Was the client/server speaking SPDY/2 or SPDY/3?
A percentage of the time, Chrome will not use SPDY (it decides this at
startup). Did you verify that it was always speaking SPDY? (I'd guess yes!)
Was the server using the CWND set sent in the SETTINGS frame, and was it
sending it to the client?
What was the server's initcwnd?
Was slow-start-after-idle turned off on the kernel?
How long were the various connections in slow start, and did they ever exit
slow-start?
Was the SSL cert chain the same size and using the same algorithms?
Was the dummynet (or equivalent) configured to have appropriate buffer size
(else it does packet drops silently)?
Were these all cold-connection, cold-cache first-page load timings? The use
of keep-alive in figure 3 would seem to indicate otherwise, but I'm not
sure which are which...
Did you put Chromium into 'replay' mode (where date and random always
return in the same manner, regardless of actual date)?
Any particular reason that you turned off entity-body compression in
Apache? Were the resources saved verbatim from WinHTTrack (in which case
it'd make sense)?
Was the server emulating the original server's think times? This can have a
very, very large impact on pipelined HTTP performance.

We've found that the various automatic page-is-done signals are often less
useful than something which measures the above-the-fold page load time.
This generally involves cameras pointed at screens and a human looking at
the video to determine at which frame the page is useful, and designating
that frame as 'done-for-above-the-fold'

I'd love to see if we could get a common suite of test data over which we
could all run experiments/benchmarks.
Is anyone else interested in doing so?

-=R