Re: Content security model

In message <CABaLYCtZjfR0S3fz-vt8S6ZPaa05B0e5X+7tWPYb=5pZg7kGGA@mail.gmail.com>
, Mike Belshe writes:

>Actually, TLS is end-to-end encrypted and just an opaque byte stream as far
>as intermediaries are concerned.  I'm not sure what you mean by hop-by-hop,
>but TLS is not (to me) hop-by-hop.

TLS is, as far as content is concerned hop-by-hop.

Usage of the broken CA-certificate model for key-material limits TLS
to one hop which connects end to end, but other key-material models
support more hops.

This is one of the reasons I push the envelope+(metadata+content)
model for HTTP/2.0:  You can use TLS to gain privacy for
the envelope on a hop-by-hop basis, while still allowing the
intermediaries to act on that envelope, and while still having
end-to-end privacy on the metadata+content.