Re: REST and HTTP, was: [ietf-http-wg] <none>

From: Eric J. Bowman <eric@bisonsystems.net>
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2012 13:05:09 -0600
To: Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>
Cc: Samuel Erdtman <samuel@erdtman.se>, ietf-http-wg@w3.org
Julian Reschke wrote:

> Do you have REST-related concerns beyond the ones related to
> intermediaries (which I share)?

The intermediary issue is merely an example of my primary concern,
which is a failure to use REST as an evaluation tool here.  Resulting
in long, repetitive threads about ideas which should be considered non-
starters, as they represent a break from the established architecture.

The problems lie with HTTP, not REST, as per Chapter 6 of Roy's thesis,
which could be used to establish some goals for moving HTTP forward.
Such a process may even lead to a new constraint, say privacy, which
would create a superset of REST.

Seems to me, that would be a better procedure than "winging it"
architecturally (starting with solutions to specific problems, rather
than establishing overall goals) and hoping for the best.

-Eric