Re: Straw-man for our next charter

From: Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@phk.freebsd.dk>
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2012 08:16:05 +0000
To: Mark Nottingham <mnot@mnot.net>
In message <63750B68-2BB9-48E4-B2E8-EDAC5AB1F0A9@mnot.net>, Mark Nottingham wri
tes:

>Assuming we do choose one, we'll also need to discuss the charter
>itself. To facilitate that, I've pasted a straw-man of what such a
>charter might look like below.

>It is expected that HTTP/2.0 will:
>* Substantially and measurably improve end-user perceived latency[...]

I miss something about general efficiency (ie: loosing the non
length-prefixed fields):

  * Be optimized for computers efficiency, rather than human readability.

DoS-resistance should be an explicit goal too:

  * Provide stronger DoS resistance than HTTP/1.1, without impacting user
    perceived performance.

And I think we should aim for message protection rather than
connection protection, in order to avoid the HTTP->HTTPS upgrade
needing a new connection, and to make life easier for HTTP routers:

  * Use message based cryptographic protection, rather than connection
    based cryptographic protection.

>Explicitly out-of-scope items include:
>* Specifying the use of alternate transport protocols. Note that it
>  is expected that the Working Group will define how the protocol is used
>  with the TLS protocol.

Given that HTTP/2.0 primarily will be an alternate transport protocol,
I find this bullet needs a rewrite:

  * Specifying transport protocols other than TCP and possibly TLS.