Cookies, sessions, browser software

From: Paul Frazee <pfrazee@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2012 09:39:05 -0500
To: ietf-http-wg@w3.org
On the issue of cookies-- is it possible that improving javascript
features in browsers will ultimately solve the problem? For instance,
the trend of one-page applications give a model in which requests are
formed by the application's client software, allowing it to specify
any session-identifying headers it needs. The model also helps with
caching, as session-specific data can be requested in individual
chunks, while application-environment data (the layout, common markup,
etc) come separately (with more caching, since they apply more
generally).

If I'm understanding it correctly, I'd suggest that cookies & sessions
be considered a client software issue, not a protocol issue.