Re: Our old friends, weak ETags

From: Bruce Perens <bruce@perens.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2012 05:08:18 +0000
To: ietf-http-wg@w3.org
Hi Adrien,

I use ETag because of an insufficiency in RFC 2616 dates: their
resolution is one second. Updates to entities at sub-second intervals
are possible and would result in entities with the same Last-Modified
date. To be pedantically resolution-independent, I convert the date/time
to a string representation of a ratio. It's presently the number of
nanoseconds since the epoch. I encode that and an entity serial number
in the ETag.

If HTTP dates are extended to have sub-second resolution, I will
probably be able to do without ETags.

     Thanks

     Bruce