Re: HTTP without being HTTPS all the time

From: Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@phk.freebsd.dk>
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2012 22:30:24 +0000
To: Willy Tarreau <w@1wt.eu>
In message <20120719205423.GB19857@1wt.eu>, Willy Tarreau writes:

>I'm precisely speaking of these ones, as they are the only I care about.
>The common principle is cookie injection :
[...]

>Note that there is a solution against this : [...]

The solution I propose is that the user-agent builds a session-identifier
nonce which should not even be accessible or visible to the javascript
or other content, since it is exactly what it says: a session-id.

I think that would also solve the problem.

>> Dual-mode the way I described, seems much used in "regular"
>> web-commerce:  You don't need protection until you're willing to
>> fork over money.
>
>A lot of web sites switch to another site for the payment [...]

Yes, but I'm also seeing sites that switch to HTTPS the moment
you put something in your shopping cart.

Either way, I don't buy the "everything will be better with HTTPS
all the time", for the simple reason that 30-50% of the HTTP
traffic will stay on HTTP/1.0 if we do so.