Re: Privacy and its costs (was: Re: Mandatory encryption)

From: Henry Story <henry.story@bblfish.net>
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2012 15:52:42 +0200
To: Karl Dubost <karld@opera.com>, "ietf-http-wg@w3.org Group" <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>, Tim Bray <tbray@textuality.com>, Martin Drst <duerst@it.aoyama.ac.jp>

On 19 Jul 2012, at 15:42, Karl Dubost wrote:

> Le 19 juil. 2012  09:29, Henry Story a crit :
>> It's architecture permits it to be, and now the Web is close to being 20, and it's time for it to join the army. :-)
>

> what an awful metaphor ;)

Not if you think of being in the army and freedom as going hand in hand, as for example it is very clearly in Switzerland, where every adult male goes for one week every year to the army, which is a citizens army, formed as militias. Since in Switzerland everything is put to a vote - a bit like in the IETF - and everybody goes to the army, they have not been to war for well over 100 years.

Giving responsibility of your freedom to someone else is already giving up freedom. Furthermore the whole can only be secure if everyone participates in its security. So I am advocating a hippie army of happy hackers here :-)

Henry

> --
> Karl Dubost - http://dev.opera.com/
> Developer Relations, Opera Software