Re: SPDY Header Frames

From: Roberto Peon <grmocg@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2012 06:24:24 -0700
To: Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@phk.freebsd.dk>
Cc: HTTP Working Group <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>, James M Snell <jasnell@gmail.com>

qJOSAyC8mGcfDQxFmxREOqmb88_fSqiyc5Kv+Q@mail.gmail.com>
> , James M Snell writes:
>
> >Yeah.. um.. ignore that compression ratio, lol...
>
> I would have checked it but I have become allergic to dissecting
> gzip files after implementing ESI:includes on gzip'ed files in
> Varnish :-)
>
> >[...]so if our header encoding is compact enough without it, why spend
> >the additional cycles to save 20 bytes or so.
>
> Indeed.
>
> Speaking of which:  I was surprised to find that the SPDY dictionary
> didn't contain any fodder for compressing User-Agent ?
>
> Was this future-proofing/neutrality, to avoid trademark issues or
> because there were no reasonable general benefit to be had ?

A combination of future proofing and neutrality, as you've guessed.

We didn't want to provide any motivation for people to lie about user-agent
any more than they do today, and having something in the dictionary would
have provided such a motivation.
We also didn't want the protocol to "choose" any favorites, i.e. we wished
it to be neutral.
-=R