Re: HTTP2 Expression of Interest : Squid

On 17/07/2012 10:04 p.m., Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:
> In message <20120717063647.GC30530@1wt.eu>, Willy Tarreau writes:
>> On Tue, Jul 17, 2012 at 06:24:10AM +0000, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:
>>> Uhm, doesn't this lead to incredible cache-bloat ?
>>>
>>> 	index.html + {style.css, logo.png...}
>>> 	article.html?art=1 + {style.css, logo.png...}
>> You're right, [...]
> That's quite a bummer.
>
> In the scenario where the user-agent has accessed this particular
> website previously, there is a very good chance that it has already
> cached the extra resources, whereas the first time it accesses
> a website, it knows for sure that it hasn't.
>
> That indicates to me that we should put the client in charge.
>
> So why don't we simply give HTTP/2.0 a new primitive, which we
> for historical continuity can call "MGET" meaning "send me all
> you think I'll need", vs. "GET" meaning "give me just this one" ?

Or "PULL"?  as in "Pull this resource plus associated", "the client-pull
feature".

> The response to MGET would be perfectly normal objects in all
> other respects (but we need to stick their URI in the reponse
> somehow.) so caching and all that works normally.
>
> That puts the client squarely in charge of enabling server-push,
> makes it trivially easy to avoid it (bots, scripts etc) and
> will give the user-agent writers a chance to compete on the
> best logic for chosing MGET vs. GET ?
>
> Heck, you could even do that in HTTP/1.1:
>
> 	MGET /index.html HTTP/1.1
> 	Host: example.com
> 	[...]
>
> 	1xx Multiple objects coming your way
> 	Mget-Object: uri=/style.css, size=23132
> 	Mget-Object: uri=/index.html size=213123
> 	Mget-Object: uri=/logo.png size=2394
>
> 	200 OK
> 	[style.css reply]
>
> 	200 OK
> 	[index.html reply]
>
> 	200 OK
> 	[logo.png reply]

Now *that* would be an HTTP/1.2 feature. Existing HTTP/1.1 caches would
relay the 1xx and cache the first 200 under that request. Assigning the
second 200 to the second pipelined request... and poof. There goes the
cache integrity.

AYJ