#375: Most Conservative (caching and date parsing)

From: Mark Nottingham <mnot@mnot.net>
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2012 16:28:01 +1000
To: HTTP Working Group <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>
<http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/httpbis/trac/ticket/375>

> If an HTTP header field incorrectly carries a date value with a time zone other than GMT, it must be converted into GMT using the most conservative possible conversion.

What does "most conservative" mean?

"Earliest" makes sense for Expires and Date, but Last-Modified it would seem that "latest" is the most conservative.

I really don't want to create a registry -- or even another aspect that each header has to define -- here.

Maybe just a few examples would help?

Regards,

--
Mark Nottingham