Re: SPDY Header Frames

From: Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@phk.freebsd.dk>
Date: Sat, 14 Jul 2012 06:42:10 +0000
To: Willy Tarreau <w@1wt.eu>
cc: James M Snell <jasnell@gmail.com>, ietf-http-wg@w3.org
In message <20120714052933.GL16256@1wt.eu>, Willy Tarreau writes:

>If you're talking about Roberto's mail, I read quite the opposite in
>fact. It was said that Google was open to have anything provided that
>the concepts raised in SPDY were preserved.

Well, which way is it Roberto ?

Care to clarify ?

>I have talked long hours with the SPDY team at IETF83. [...] They
>clearly said they were open to changes. What else do you want ?

I want a sensible and ethical engineering process, one that doesn't
dive headlong into serialization of HTTP headers until we have
established what problems HTTP/2.0 should solve.

Sneaking things like server-push through the backdoor is simply not
acceptable, without structured decision to give up on HTTP's strict
request-response model.

It may be that we want to loose the strict R-R model, it may be
that we do not.

But making the HTTP/2.0 process a matter of "who already has a ready
ID" is not the way to decide a question like that.