Re: Using HTTP Trailers [was: Content-Integrity header]

On 12.07.2012 09:59, Zhong Yu wrote:
> Transfer-Encoding and Content-Encoding overlap in functionality. For
> example, gzip can be done in either way. But in reality, gzip is only
> implemented with Content-Encoding, for whatever reason. It might be
> safer to introduce a new content-coding than a new transfer-coding.

The Content-Encoding is about the entity. End-to-End.
The Transfer-Encoding is about the channel. Hop-by-Hop.

gzip is not implemented as Transfer-Encoding due to all the reasons
Willy and I put forward against mandatory gzip compression on SPDY
connections. It is a large performance loss to de/re-compress at every
hop. chunked on the other hand is trivial to recode and when used right
increases performance.

When implementing anything which intermediaries *need* visibility to
and possibly even manipulation of, Content-Encoding is the worst way to
do it.

AYJ