Re: multiplexing -- don't do it

Multiplexing inefficiencies:

I don't have data on this but I can share my experience developing a web accelerator for satellite networks that does prefetching (similar to Server Push but prefetched objects are buffered in the modem as opposed to the browser itself) and has supported multiplexing similar to SPDY.

Bad performance of hi priority objects (browser requested JavaScript say) when preceded by low priority objects (Images or prefetched objects) is a serious problem when objects are multiplexed, especially for congested networks. The ideal solution is for the optimizer to send in priority order but also mark the priority of packets, maintain original streams, as well as the visibility of headers so that COTS networking equipment can be used to differentially shape the streams based on priority.

Hypothetical Example: Assuming SPDY's Server Push feature is widely adopted, ISPs will want to be able to treat prefetched data with a lower priority than interactive or user requested data when their networks are congested. They already have the gear in place to do this type of L7 differential shaping. It's good for end users and good for site owners as it allows for good page load times even during peak busy hours. Do you agree HTTP 2.0 should not break this type of functionality?

Thanks,

Peter