Re: multiplexing -- don't do it

On Sat, Mar 31, 2012 at 07:34:47AM +0000, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:
> In message <20120331073004.GN14039@1wt.eu>, Willy Tarreau writes:
>
> >> For instance, if header compression is optional, but common UAs will use
> >> it by default, it *will* be implemented.
>
> I think for a facility like compression, it would be prefectly justified
> to make it a "default-on" feature, which may cost a RTT to disable for
> clients which don't grok it.

I have no issue with that provided it's cheap. I'd like to note that the
additional RTT happens only if it's not supported by the server, so that
the client's request is not understood. If we make compression cheap enough
for both ends, as we proposed as well as Roy proposed in Waka (which looks
more advanced BTW), then there might not be any reason not to support it
and it would be even easier.

Willy